The Chick-fil-a saga continues, and some would argue has gotten ridiculous. Here’s a timeline, a play by play if you will, of how we ended up where we are. The story has been picked up by national media, who of course are reporting many facts wrongly.
- Dan Cathy is interviewed by Ken Coleman, a radio talk show host in Atlanta. The link I had to the interview is longer valid, but Cathy did remark that America is inviting God’s judgement. That broadcast was over a month ago, and there was no social media attention nor public outrage in the weeks that followed.
- Last week this interview was published by the Baptist Press. Cathy says in the interview there is no such thing as a Christian company. A company cannot be lost or saved but individuals are. A company can however be run according to Christian principles. It was after this interview (that does not mention homosexuality, gay marriage, nor God’s judgement) that gay and lesbian groups starting planning protests and boycotts. Social media lit up, linking comments from both sources attempting to make Cathy look as inflammatory as possible.
- Chick-fil-A responded to the criticism with this public statement: The Chick-fil-A culture and service tradition in our restaurants is to treat every person with honor, dignity and respect — regardless of their belief, race, creed, sexual orientation or gender. Going forward, our intent is to leave the policy debate over same-sex marriage to the government and political arena. There is nothing hateful in that. It almost looks like concession. Chick-fil-A is extending the olive branch of peace, but images around the internet continue to suggest the company “hates fags” and supports Christian hate organizations. I don’t even know what that means. The cartoons show the Chick-fil-A cows holding Fred Phelps style signs, which they nor Dan Cathy have ever done.
- Mike Huckabee (here’s where it starts getting weird) organized a Facebook event to show public support for Chick-fil-A. I responded to an invitation to support Chick-fil-A by eating there on August 1. GBLT groups and used social media to begin organizing “Same Sex Kiss Day” scheduled for Friday, August 3. They encourage same sex couples to kiss at Chick-fil-A locations across the country and post pictures of themselves on the internet. Here’s my beef: what people could do if they disagreed with any company’s philosophy is simply not patronize that business. I don’t like Apple products, so I don’t go to the Apple store. Gay and lesbian groups, upset of Dan Cathy’s stand on traditional marriage, are going to Chick-fil-A to rub their lifestyle choice in people’s faces. There are plenty of Christians/conservatives/Chick-fil-A employees that do not hate anybody, neither because of race, gender, sexual orientation, college football team, whatever. GBLT’s have falsely accused chicken-eating Christians of hating, and will attempt to generate a hateful looking reaction. (See my thoughts below)
- The Muppets have announced they will not work with Chick-fil-A to produce toys for kids meal. The Muppets support diversity, and have pledged to donate all money received from Chick-fil-A to GLAD. This is a sad state of affairs folks; Chik-fil-A supports the traditional family, the Muppets support gay marriage and are protesting.
One of my personal friends reacted by saying Chick-fil-A should kick same-sex kissers out of their restaurants next week. That would not be Christ-like and is not how to share/live the Gospel. Remember, there is no such thing as a Christian business, and the Christian principles use to run the business should prevent such actions. Denying anyone would be discriminatory, which is the accusation we want to prove false. CHRISTIANS EVERYWHERE – Go to Chick-fil-A on August 3rd, smile, eat your chicken. Don’t tell anyone they’re going to hell; don’t take pictures of yourself kissing your wife and post them online; do not engage. Smile, eat, leave. What they want is an outrageous response; what they want is some hate to react to. If we love like Christ loves we can deny them that. This is a chance to prove what we have been saying, and perhaps even change some minds; not about sexual orientation but about Christians and hate.
UPDATE, 8-2-12 Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day was bigger than perhaps anyone imagined. Mike Huckabee posted dozens of photos from all over the country. It should come as no surprise that all Christians do not stand in agreement; some stayed away pointing to support of Chick-fil-A not sharing the Gospel, or else that none of us are without sin and therefore should not judge. Others said it is a sad day when fast food chains make our moral decisions for us (but they lost me there). Other things Christians disagree over include infant baptism, the Lord’s Supper, the divinity of Jesus and who can be saved. Eating more chicken is pretty way down the list.
Same Sex Kiss Day is Friday, August 3rd. It will be later in the evening before I can blog or anything else tomorrow. Reminder – be Christ like.